For many companies, e-mail is the primary means of communication with customers or partners. A well-functioning interface between the e-mail client and customer relationship management makes it easier to manage customers and partners. With the Microsoft Dynamics 365 App for Outlook it is possible to link emails and Outlook appointments with existing Dynamics 365 records or to create new records and to link them with one click with an e-mail. This blog entry will briefly explain how a case can be created from an Outlook e-mail.
Convert an e-mail to a Dynamics 365 case
The process is quickly explained: A new e-mail contains important information on a topic relevant to the company. The user wants to create a new case in Dynamics 365 as quickly as possible without leaving the Outlook client. The process requirements to the Outlook client are to track the e-mail, create a case, edit some fields, and save the case. This is a specific scenario of the "tracking function" of the Dynamics 365 application for Outlook.
Case entity to the list of entities that can be used to create records from Outlook
In some cases, the "Case" entity is missing from the Outlook dropdown menu. Normally, it is because the user does not have the rights to create or edit new cases. If the case entity still does not appear in the drop down menu after granting the authorization, the following points should be considered:
- Is the case entity available for Quick Search?
- Is the case entity enabled for tracking in Outlook?
- Is the case entity available for quick or mobile viewing?
To make the entity available for the quick search
1. Go to Settings -> Administrative Tools and then System Preferences.
2. Stay on the "General" tab and scroll down to "Search Setup". Click Select.
3. Select the case entity and click Add. Confirm with "OK".
To make the tracking tracking available in Outlook
1. Go to Settings -> Adjustments -> System Customize.
2. Under the entities, select the case entity. Ensure that activities are selected under "Communication & Collaboration".
Note: Usually, the case entity is available for activities. If this option is not selected, the SDK can only be changed later.
Enable the Entity for quickness and mobile view
1. In the same view as in the previous step, you must ensure that the entity is available for the quick set-up.
2. Scroll down and select the mobile view under "Outlook & Mobile". The "read only" hook should not be set.
Afterwards, all changes should be published to the system. You can then easily create cases from an Outlook e-mail.
Creating a Case out of an Outlook e-mail
- Klicken Sie auf „Verfolgen“
- Klicken Sie auf „Neu“
- Wählen Sie die Case Entität aus dem Drop Down Menu aus
- Bearbeiten oder fügen Sie neue Felder hinzu
- Klicken Sie auf „Speichern“
Converting an email to a case is a quick and easy way to make important information available directly in Dynamics 365. Note that records can be created with any other entity from Outlook. The steps, as described in the tutorial, are the same. You only have to perform the steps and settings for a different entity.